Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pussy Willows

I've been reading a lot of Shawna Lemay's blog lately, and one of the things I love about her work is that she always gives a set of photos - multiple angles or perspectives on the same scene. Usually, I force myself to narrow it down to one photo for one object - although I always take multiple to begin with. But sometimes a series gives a more holistic impression, I think.  


I took these photos late last week, on a particularly springy day. Finding pussy willows at sunset. 

When I was younger, we always collected pussy willow branches in the river valley for Easter. We'd place them in a vase, and they became an Easter tree. 
We'd hang eggs on the branches, but since the pussy willows were so delicate, first we poked tiny holes in the shell at either end of the egg, and blew the yolk out into a bowl. 
We made omelettes with the insides, and dyed the hollow shells in bright colours. 
After Easter was over, I used to pinch off the soft buds and save them in a jar, so that I could feel the gentle down all year round.
After photographing pussy willows, I sat down to read some Oscar Wilde and watch the light fade. He seemed to be talking about our Easter trees.
"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless." ~ Oscar Wilde


No comments:

Post a Comment